Join Museum staff and volunteers for free hands-on history and art activities for the whole family. Bring the kids and create a project to take home, enjoy stories, see and touch artifacts, learn about local history and more.
Family Day is held monthly on the second Saturday, September through June, at the Museum from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. It is open to the public and no reservations are required. And it’s FREE!
Family Days are held at our Hillsboro Location, 120 E Main Street, Hillsboro, Oregon 97123.
Our appreciation goes out to The Autzen Foundation for supporting Family Day! We could not provide this event to the community without you!
Family Day Programs
- Free Family Day– June 11 - Summers of the Past! It’s time to think summer because school is almost out. What better way to get ready for summer than playing games from summers of the past? Play with pioneer toys, participate in a game of clues to explore the Museum and make a toy to take home for the summer. This... Read More
- Free Family Day– May 14 - Technology from Primitive to Present Day! Washington County has long been the home of innovators. Guests will have a chance to view the Museum’s exhibit “This Kalapuya Land” and interact with primitive technology, as well as learn about the vibrant history that gave Washington County the nickname “Silicon Forest” with the exhibit “Innovation in Washington... Read More
- Free Family Day–April 9 - Get into the spirit of Earth Day by helping build a cardboard village! Learn about recycling and make things with the stuff you usually throw away. Participants will have a chance to “up-cyle” and make something to take home. This event is free and open to the public. Family Days occur the second Saturday of... Read More
- Free Family Day– March 12 - Celebrate spring! Plant seeds, make a kite to take home and complete a scavenger hunt of Washington County’s natural resources. At 11 a.m. storyteller Holly Robison will present “Spring Has Sprung” stories of animals awakening for spring. Robison is a member of the Portland Storytellers Guild and the National Youth Showcase State Liaison for Oregon.... Read More
- Free Family Day– February 13 - Join us for an Oregon Birthday Party! Try your hand at a variety of activities related to Oregon history including building Oregon houses, trading like a mountain man and packing an Oregon Trail wagon. This event runs from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and is free and open to the public.
- Free Family Day– January 9 - Celebrate the New Year with us by learning how different cultures in Washington County mark their celebrations. Students from Hope Chinese Charter School and the International School of Beaverton will host booths, and participants will complete a passport to explore traditions, make crafts and play games.This event is free and open to the public. Event... Read More
- Free Family Day– December 12 - The science of toys! As we enter the season of giving, learn the science behind your toys. At 11 a.m. Rhys Thomas will explain “Gollyology” – the study of tricks that make you say, “Golly!” Rotation around center of mass is demonstrated with juggling clubs and Chinese flower sticks, balancing tips are generated using the... Read More
- Free Family Day- November 14 - Celebrate India! The students of the Anjali School of Dance will present a lecture demonstration on Bharatanatyam, a classical dance from India at 11 a.m on Saturday, November 14. Bharatanatyam is a 2000 year old dance form that uses hand gestures, face expressions and eyes to tell stories from Hindu Mythology. Dressed in traditional costumes,... Read More
- Free Family Day- October 10 - Quake-Up! Join Museum staff and volunteers for activities related to the earth’s movements. Local Storyteller Emmy blue will tell tales of the Enchanted Forest at 11 a.m. and guests will make tsunami bottles and pet rocks to take home. Family Day activities will take place in conjunction with Quake Up and Preparedness, an earthquake preparedness... Read More