Make a little history with us as a Museum Volunteer!
Who Can Volunteer?
We offer a variety of opportunities for teens, college-age students and adults. We also offer group/corporate volunteer opportunities at our major events.
From time to time we have other volunteer opportunities available. While the following positions may not be open, for reference, these are descriptions of all our volunteer positions. We will announce open positions as they become available at the Washington County Museum.
- Guest Services Volunteers are ambassadors for our Museum by greeting guests at the front desk, ringing gift shop purchases and talking knowledgeably about our organization and membership opportunities. You must be comfortable handling money and talking enthusiastically to the public! Limited positions, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Requires minimum two shifts per month for 3 months.
- Docents provide the personalized experiences and perspectives that make museum trips memorable and meaningful for our visitors, ranging from elementary children to senior adults. These opportunities are available during regular museum hours.
- Family Program Aides must enjoy a fast paced, child filled day with hands on activities! Most of these opportunities are on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. during Free Family Mornings.
- Special Event Volunteers help with a number of special events throughout the year, including: Taste of Washington County, After Dark Events, and Evening Lectures. You’ll help with setup/tear down, decorations, greeting/seating guests, coat check, raffle ticket sales, serving, table busing, or even providing a hands on experience or activity. It all depends on the event!
- Artifact/Archive Collection Maintenance will work with the Collections Manager to catalog and inventory collections materials, photographs and artifacts within the Museum. Prefer volunteers with related experience or those actively seeking a job in the Museum field and wishing to gain experience. This opportunity is at our PCC Rock Creek location primarily and is most often a Monday through Friday daytime only position.
- Research Assistants (Library) provide essential assistance to our Curator and Collections Manager in pulling documents, photographs, or other archival material and organizing it based on research requests. This opportunity prefers volunteers with research/library experience or those actively preparing for a job in the library/research fields. This is a Monday through Friday day time only opportunity.
Ready to make some history? Here’s how you get started:
- Download and print out the Volunteer Application Form (PDF) (Sorry not fillable online).
- Complete the volunteer form. Please print clearly.
- Scan it into your computer and email form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or mail the form to Washington County Museum, 3300 NW 185th Ave, Ste. 260 Portland, OR 97229 (mailing address only).
- Or drop it by the admissions desk during business hours at 17677 NW Springville Rd Portland, OR 97229.