Make a little history with us as a Museum Volunteer!
Who Can Volunteer?
We offer a variety of opportunities for teens, college-age students and adults.
Teen Volunteer opportunities are offered during the summer. To apply as a Teen Volunteer contact education
Group/Corporate Volunteer opportunities are available several times a year at our major events. If you have a group looking for a “done in a day” opportunity Contact volunteer
What do Volunteers do? How much of my time is required?
The Museum offers a variety of volunteer opportunities from behind the scenes to working with the public! Some of our opportunities require a regular schedule while many are on-call depending on activity needs. In general, for regular schedule positions we require a minimum of two shifts per month, four hours each shift with a minimum commitment of 40 hours total. For on-call positions you should expect to volunteer for about four hours at least once per month most of the time.
The Museum offers opportunities at both locations, downtown Hillsboro and our Rock Creek Campus location. There are limited volunteer opportunities for some positions, so it is possible to be on a wait list until a position opens up. We do our best to find a way to engage your talents and utilize your potential to the fullest! We offer several events each year perfect for adult/corporate volunteer organizations. These events are mostly held on weekends or evenings requiring around four hours of your time at a fun-filled party with a variety of tasks from coat check to decorating!
Application Reviews: Applications are reviewed on a regular basis, with intake and training provided generally quarterly. However, some positions such as event recruitment are done as needed, generally 6-12 weeks ahead of the event.
Training: Sessions are offered 2-3 times per year as needed.
From time to time we have other volunteer opportunities available. While the following positions may not be open, for reference, these are descriptions of all our volunteer positions. We will announce open positions as they become available at the Washington County Museum.
- Visitor Services Volunteers are ambassadors for our Museum by greeting guests at the front desk, selling admissions, ringing gift shop purchases and talking knowledgeably about our organization and membership opportunities. You must be comfortable using a computer cash register system and talking enthusiastically to the public! Limited positions, Wednesday-Saturdays 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. or 1:15 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Requires minimum two shifts per month for 3 months.
- On Call Field Trip Helpers provide the personalized experiences and perspectives that make museum trips memorable and meaningful for our visitors, ranging from elementary children to senior adults.
- On Call Weekend Education Helpers must enjoy a fast paced, child filled day filled with hands on activities! Most of these opportunities are on Saturdays between 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. You’ll help with Free Family Day, Scout Day, or helping at an outdoor booth representing the Museum with an activity and information about our programs. (Note: Booth helpers have several shift options, some booth events are off site, and on a variety of days from weekends to weekday evenings).
- Special Event Volunteers help with a number of special events throughout the year, including: Taste of Washington County, Gala, After Dark Events, First Tuesday Art Walks, Evening Lectures. You’ll help with setup/tear down, decorations, greeting/seating guests, coat check, raffle ticket sales, serving, table bussing, or even providing a hands on experience or activity. It all depends on the event!
- Transcription Volunteers will work with the Folklife Coordinator to transcribe oral histories collected in the county to add to the Museum’s collections.
- Artifact/Archive Collection Maintenance will work with the Collections Manager to catalog and inventory collections materials, photographs and artifacts within the Museum. Prefer volunteers with related experience or those actively seeking a job in the Museum field and wishing to gain experience. This opportunity is at our PCC Rock Creek location primarily and is most often a Monday through Friday daytime only position.
- Research Assistants (Library) provides essential assistance to our Curator and Collections Manager in pulling documents, photographs, or other archival material and organizing it based on research requests. This opportunity prefers volunteers with research/library experience or those actively preparing for a job in the library/research fields. The library is located at the PCC Rock Creek Campus. This is a Monday through Friday day time only opportunity.
Ready to make some history? Here’s how you get started:
- Download and print out our Volunteer Application Form (PDF). (Sorry not fillable online)
- Complete the volunteer form. Please print clearly.
- Scan it into your computer and email form to: Contact volunteer
- Or snail mail the form to Washington County Museum Attn Volunteer Dept PO Box 3790 Hillsboro, OR 97123
- Or drop it by the admissions desk at the downtown Hillsboro location, 120 E Main, during open hours.
Active volunteers are eligible for special Museum membership levels by invitation only.